animations and textures..

super fundamental newb prob. i got this sphere i am trying to learn about displacement and stuff on. i figured out how to get the texture to not skate when animated at Obj level. However, when i try to shade and animate within the geometry node, the texture skates. i have to animate and put the material on the geo node in obj level, with a rest pos node in the shader. is that the way to normally do it? i tried, after the fact, to put a mountain SOP with the offset animated and it made my texture skate again. just to be crystal clear, i previously tried putting a material node before an xform node (to animate while inside the geo node) and it skates.. i am apologetic of the newbness and i i greatly appreciate this whole community.. thanks in advance and here is the scene file:

shaderTEST5.hipnc

adding rest VOP to shader is not enough

you need to add Rest SOP to your object prior to any deformation (because that creates rest attrib which is picked by shader's Rest VOP)

or if it's already deformed like pointcache, then connect static version of that mesh to second input of Rest SOP as a reference (you can just freeze one frame by Timeshift SOP for that)

Edited by anim