Bullet and animated object

jmpr

I have been looking at the latest Bullet video from sidefx, and tried all examples which has the Bullet Glue SOP node, works fine, and looked at Jeff W example of the crumbling ground, and I can recreate that.

But, a big but, I need to use animated base geometry, think spaceship hitting a mountain side,

the space ship will be driving into the mountain, just the pieces that are flying of the ship should be active and fall to the ground, ship continue on its course (use animation).

When I do this using constraints, it works fine for 30% of the pieces, the rest goes crazy.

So for the spaceship example, I constraint the backside of the spaceship that is going to be the last to hit the mountain.

I am using a sop solver connected to the glue network constraint to delete parts of the glue network.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds interesting. I never tryed out the glue constraint method to activate primitives in DOPs.

Right now I am familiar with two methods of activating pieces for bullet collisions.

1. point activation method

2. dynamically transferring individual pieces of the fractured geometry into the DOP network ( which speeds up the performance tremendously ! )

In both ways you need to switch on "deformed geometry" on your "rbd fractured object" because your space ship is animated.

In both ways you need to set up an intersecting relationship in the SOP level ( mountain geometry intersects spaceship ). Pieces which intersect ( or their center points ) will get a specific color. This color can be transferred to an attribute which DOPs can read as activation input for collisions.

Edited by danielbinder

• 8 months later...