Creating controllable subtle dents

kinetic

Hello fellow Houdini users,

I come seeking advice on the best way to approach the topic. What I'd like to create is a dent system based on collisions. To keep things simplified, say I have spheres falling and contacting a grid. What would be some approaches in getting subtle deformations that hold form on the grid? Should I concentrate on going the Cloth route? Magnet SOP route? Sop Solver? My grid (as it relates to my scene) will be the exterior of a plane, so as I mentioned I'm looking for an effective way to create controlled subtle dents on the surface on impact.

Thanks!

The most controllable way in my opinion would be "attribute-transferring" (new verb) a custom parameter from the "colliders" to the plane, and then use a VOP SOP to deform based on that parameter. You can use a ramp to define the intensity or shape or whatever you want to.

As for holding the "deformed" shape, simply use a Solver SOP.

• Like 1

Netvudu,

If you have time, could you put together an example of your concept for me to explore? I know some basics in VOPs, but still a newb on most things in it. I'll still try to put something together relatively soon. I'm just knee deep in rigging at the moment.

Edited by kjmitch

No worries Javier,

I haven't had a chance to re-visit this issue as of yet. Whenever you get time is fine. Interested in the technique you mentioned. Working on some engine exhaust at the moment. Trying to get fast moving (burst like) smoke.

Edited by kjmitch

in the help docs, there is an example of integrating sop solver with pop solver. I think you will find it in the sop examples.

The example consists in an emitter shooting particles against a torus, and when torus is hit by a particle, the sop solver internally creates a metaball in the collision position, and the metaball deforms the geo with a magnet sop...