Rocket impact

gui

Hey

I like the shot but I think the rocket would look better if it has a hotspot at the tip right before impact, also some reflection at the big building while it reaches the building.

Regarding Smoke Simulations are good, I suggest you to try different shaders and colors, the missile one looks too yellow? and the one from the building kind of pinkish?

You could improve the rigid bodies simulation at the big wall as the pieces are kind of too big and add some debris.

what do u think?

Thanks! I definitely could improve the volumes, but the render times took too long. My idea as to render one pass for each smoke sim I did, one for the rocket, one for the chimney, and other one for the impact on the wall, but in the end I had to render all the volumes together, and lost the flexibility to make more changes in comp. I did some objctids for the smoke, but forgot to export the mask pass, so It didn´t work as I expected.

I added lot´s of debris, especially in the chimney, but overall the debris were occluded by the smoke... perhaps I should make more pieces for the wall. I had to do an procedural constrain for the pieces, was a bit hard and the sim started to be slow, but it´s a nice idea, it´s good to have feedback, thanks!

The smoke at the moment of impact is really nice, I like how it rolls off after the impact.

About that the only thing that evidently bugs me is that the emission volume for the smoke that comes from the breaks in the wall has a big radius so you see the fluid "sticking" to the sides of the cracks, which is really wide, so I'd sort that out (even in post-sim with some SOP changes to the volume)

Unfortunatley I'm not sold on the fire of the rocket at all (nor the trail when it's still going towards the wall).

In my opinion it needs to have much more "body" to it, the first flame burst starts nicely but the noise afterward is a bit weird. I can't see if there's wind in all the sim at all that pushes all the volumes in a certain direction while they're developing. If there is, I'd make it more evident, if not, Add it as it helps a lot to sell volumes making them behave like they are in an atmosphere instead of being simulated in a vacuum-like environment.

The second burst behaves too "lazily". The fire needs to be more powerful when coming out, and in my opinion needs to keep a "curved motion" upwards, whilst you now only have a direct upwards one (comes out the rocket and just goes up in a straight line). I'd solve that, AND I don't see a rocket spurting fire (for the "comedy" effect) for more than just some frames every burst. The first one emits enough, but the second burst keeps emitting FIRE which is I would not expect. I'd rather it spurting out one big fire lick and then go into smoke.

The color for the flame is really off as well, I guess you used physically correct color on the fire. I found out that I'm much more comfortable using the Artistic model for coloring. Also remember that you can use your Volume Visualization sop to drive the look on your pyro shader without having to set all the parms again twice manually.

About rendering the fluids together, if you use the mantra exports for fire/smoke masks, you'll find out that even if you're rendering 3 fluids together with different shaders but in the same render, the masks take account of the other fluids as well (they're cut out off the mask so they 'occlude' correctly)

For the debris, if you have a separate pass to show I can give maybe other feedback, as of now the only thing that comes to mind is that the pieces might be too big and you need more of them.

My 2 cents, and keep up the good work! :)

Thanks Emanuele! I should be more careful with the shading of the flames. The (awful) truth is that it was the last thing I saw, and I didn´t wanna render it again. I exported just the smoke and fire color, not the masks, so I couldn´t change much in comp.

But I understood your points and will keep in mind for the next project. Thanks for the comments!