mirroring weights with the CaptureMirror SOP

jim c

I'm trying to mirror weights on a mesh with the CaptureMirror sop and not getting the results I'd expect. SOme of the weighting comes over, but it seems like's not overwriting what was there, like it's blending it somehow. What's the best workflow to get precise mirrored weights from one side to another? What I'd like is for ALL the points on the right side to have the same values as the left, mirrored of course. And that doesn't seem to be what I get.

I think you want to read the help on the "Behavior" parameter. It controls how you want the mirroring the done. As I vaguely recall, the default is to blend the mirrored weights with the destination weights so that "feathering" can be along the mirror plane.

OK. I think some of my problem might have been missing weight values. WHen I set up the capture to ensure that all the points had some set of weights and the prior to the weight painting and before the mirror, the weights were the same on both side, then I got consistent results. Something must have gone weird before this.