RBD Glue object with animated geometry

Kev

I am having challenges with an animated object which is supposed to shatter and collapse. This results in some crazy "falling" objects that sweep around contrary to gravity because of their inherited point velocities.

Is the RBD object always tied to the imported SOP when "deforming geometry" is activated?

Hi Kev!

What kind of animation are you talking about? Is it a lattice deformer or? Are you using Bullet as a solver? correct me if I am wrong but last time I checked Bullet couldn't handle objects being deforming and shattering at the same time.

It would help to share the hip-file with the specific issue you are having. I am new to houdini but I have been dealing with issues of animated objects in DOPs for a few days now. I could take an extra look if you want

Regards,

Hudson

Sorry. I thought I had attached it.

Hi again Kev,

I took a look at your file and tried out different methods. When I look at your simulation in a larger time scale let's say 500 frames it seems to me like your fractured pieces act like magnets. Why I actually don't know since I have only been using Houdini for a few weeks :P

Nevertheless I kind of solved your specific problem for this specific task. first of all I stoped the animation just a few frames before the impact instead of having a sinus curve as an animation source. If you dont want your pieces been rumbling around afterwards.

The approach I used was actually to create a glue_network for the fractured pieces. I strongly recommend you to watch this tutorial if you havent seen it before contunuing with fracturing:

http://www.sidefx.co...2350&Itemid=166

I made several changes to your file. It is best if you see it yourself and if you don't understand just check the tut above and you will figure out everything about glue networks and how it works together with the bullet solver.

I have actually never fractured a object during animation just the oposite, fractured objects based on another objects animation so I am providing as well as my knowledge reachees out :P

- The major changes in the file are actually the animation itself. I lifted up the cylinder a bit and stopped its rotation just before it hits the ground.

- The glue is now based on the glue network method instead of the usual way.

Take a look and see if it looks somthink like you wanted :)

/Hudson

Edited by Hudson
  • Like 2