Points look at

Hello All,

Is there any way to create points look at to some variable position in side vop ? ( Like a sprite looks at to camera position ).

normalize(goalPosition - P)

Edit... To late :)

Edited by mawi

I already gave you an upvector, and named the node accordingly :P.

I just set it to the world up as that is most used, but it can be changed of course ;)

when selecting the node, you see 0,1,0 (which stand for x,y,z) near the bottom, change this vector to the desired direction.

If you instead want a variable upvector,

you could basically set the up-vector the same way as the normal, just copy the vopsop and look inside it.

Add an "add attribute" node inside, set the attribute to "up" and reroute the link from the normal to that node.

Then you can input a different point into the second input of this second vopsop to have a variable upvector.

I already gave you an upvector, and named the node accordingly :P.

I just set it to the world up as that is most used, but it can be changed of course ;)

when selecting the node, you see 0,1,0 (which stand for x,y,z) near the bottom, change this vector to the desired direction.

If you instead want a variable upvector,

you could basically set the up-vector the same way as the normal, just copy the vopsop and look inside it.

Add an "add attribute" node inside, set the attribute to "up" and reroute the link from the normal to that node.

Then you can input a different point into the second input of this second vopsop to have a variable upvector.

Oops ! seems like I m missing something.. It might sound little dumb :wacko: I m newbie to Houdini.

# I did try and re-looked into your example file for up vector node ..But all I can find is merge node(named "upvector") Is that what you mean ?

# I also Variable upvector root I m sure im doing something wrong, Could you check the my file.

Thanks a lots !

aimTest02.hipnc

you did it almost correctly:

in the up vector vopsop you have to remove the connection between the "add attribute" and normal output,

then it should work. This is because of this connection you also applied the upvector as your aim vector, you overwrite the other vopsop in that case

Since you do not really want to do that, you have to remove that connection.

Remember that there are multiple nodes inside vopsops that can be used as outputs, not just the output node. ("add attribute" and "add to point group" among them)

Vopsops can be a bit daunting to start using, if you are not really ready for them you can also use point Sops like Mawi suggested.

aimTest03.hipnc

you did it almost correctly:

in the up vector vopsop you have to remove the connection between the "add attribute" and normal output,

then it should work. This is because of this connection you also applied the upvector as your aim vector, you overwrite the other vopsop in that case

Since you do not really want to do that, you have to remove that connection.

Remember that there are multiple nodes inside vopsops that can be used as outputs, not just the output node. ("add attribute" and "add to point group" among them)

Vopsops can be a bit daunting to start using, if you are not really ready for them you can also use point Sops like Mawi suggested.

Thanks for your time. Twan

Now I understood the concept.