Fragmenting Object without collision

Okay so this is a very noobie question but how do you fragment an object:

1. Without having it hit by something (just have the chunks explode off the surface as if a bullet hit the area etc)

2. Without having the whole object break off - I just want to fracture only part of it.

All the tutorials I've watched talked about objects colliding. Also, while I've managed to fracture objects just fine (via collisions) I don't know how to regionalize the collision. I've tried the cluster parameters etc...

If anybody would be so kind as to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated...

Edited by noodlehead

well in the shelf there's a tool to shatter your object. Then using the gluepieces dop, you can sim those "chunks" in a dop network. utilizing bullet, and the bullet glue/constraints and clusters (glue adjacent shelf tool) you can really art direct exactly where, what, and when you want stuff to shatter. You can also use helper objects to delete the glue/constraints and further control the sim.