SOLVED* Alembic Maya->houdini. the best way to create a smoke sou

Hudson

Hello,

I am trying to create smoke from an exaustion pipe. the scene has been created and animated in maya and exported with alembic for Houdini. I simply want the smoke to be emited from the pipe during 522(of 950) frames. I have been reading forums to find an answer and have not been very successfull. Maybe because I am a noob and don't know what to search for..

I have tried these methods without any progress:

1. ROPoutput a few prims inside the pipe and emit from there. The problem is when I export the geo doesn't export the transformation(animation) from the alembic node.

2. Create a sphere in houdini, place it inside the pipe and parent it with the pipe (alembic node) to get the transformation and animation of the tank. The main problem is when I try to create a simple billowy smoke preset of the shape from the sphere Houdini cooks forever. If I don't parent the sphere to the alembic pipe node it jst takes 2 seconds to create a volume of the sphere and emit smoke from it.

I am also doing it in frame 1.

A possible solution would be to ROPoutput the exaustion pipe from the Alembic SOP and import it with the animation cached. I will keep looking for a way of doing that.

I have attached the hipnc and abc file

Thank you in advance!

/Hudson

to_odforce_1.hipnc

maya_hou9.zip

Edited by Hudson

Solved:

Well I had to scale down the Maya scene before extracting it to Houdini. Since I scaled it down quite much the division size on the pyro node was extremly low from the beginning. around 0.0005...

So well, avoid that

Cheers