Field3D io for houdini

Im having a look at getting volume data between max and houdini and noticed FumeFX supports field3d format. Ive also had a quick look around for field3d for houdini and noticed that its in the HDK, but I have no means of compiling this at the moment and was wondering if there was a precompiled version for windows hanging around that I could test out for 12.1.18 or 12.5.316.22.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mantragora

I'm not even close to any of those H builds you mentioned here so I can't compile it for you.

... but I have no means of compiling this at the moment...

Why? Because you don't have VS2008? You don't need it. Read this:

Windows SDK contains free 64-bit MS C++ compiler. For VS2008 version get older SDK. I think it's this one. Good source of info about SDK's is here.

PS. It looks also that you can force 2008 Express Edition to use SDK 64 bit compiler. Probably a little pain in the ass to setup but it may work.

PS2. For all you out there that would like to use inlineCPP on Windows and can't right now, you should try this SDK because it looks that it's all you need to make it work if you don't have VS2008.

PS3. I think Code::Blocks can use MS Compiler if it detects it. Maybe someone could try to make it work with SDK and compile for Houdini. Someone with free time. :)

It should work. You got nothing to lose (beside time :)).

For what it's worth, once you get a compiler setup, Field3D is supposed to just compile and work as all dependencies are included with Houdini. But I've never done that in Windows before...

The guy who made the BulletSOP put this video up, and while a bit older, might have some useful pointers:

https://vimeo.com/17195536

Edited by goldleaf

Guest mantragora

When it comes to the compiler, this video doesn't have anything that is valuable. SDK compiler doesn't need VisualStudio to work. The part about VS I added just because it can be used with it too. When SDK is installed it should be only matter of using standard "hcustom" command that you can find in HDK help for Windows.