particle self collision

MENOZ

please check this video.

I'm simulating sand and it's way easier to do it in maya with nparticles than in houdini.

Apparently there is no way to make particles self colliding in houdini. in pop there is a interact but it's not exactly working in this sense.

In dop we have particle object but apparently is meant to do mainly SPH simulations, maybe we could use this? i don't know how to set it up anyway.

I want avoid using flip with varying viscosity because it result like mud.

Rigid body also is too slow given the amount of grains i need to simulate over and over.

i also found this video with blender, it seems it uses SPH, but it's not clear to me.

http://blip.tv/openblip/sand-simulation-with-100-000-particles-in-blender-2-5-tutorial-3396130

is there a way to have particle self collision in houdini?

thank you in advance

thank you anim, this example uses rbd and it's way too slow :(

i quickly tried with 4000 points it already 7 sec per frame.. i'm doing iterations with 400000 and more in maya and it's still faster.

I tried with bullet, it's much faster but still too slow and heavy.

Ok... I will try to be calm... I am in the process of migrating from maya to houdini and finding out that there is no particle self collision makes me feel ..... :angry: .this just cant be true!!!

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/8061-inter-particle-collision/ is this still true for the H12 well?

rbd is so slow! no multithreading!!! using Bullet in modo 701 is way faster and fully multithreaded! Please tell me am doing something wrong......

It's still true. The popswithrbd example file is quite old and I wouldn't call it a recommended workflow anyway. It can be switched over to bullet for a speed increase. I feel like this gap will be probably be filled soon, but it's missing as of now. And calm is a great thing to shoot for, every package has it's strengths and weaknesses :)

• Like 1