Houdini flip Fountains

I do feel not real!

Lay off the magic mushrooms :wub:

So I'd have multiple emitters where each gush of water is and make their velocity high in y. So start at 0, 10, 0 and go up from there if you need.

I'd probably try and get just one of the emitters looking right first, then move it to the rest of them. You'll probably need quite a low particle separation to get it looking realistic, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of settings. Try 0.1 and go down from there. Add a bit of variance in x and z on the velocity so it doesn't just shoot straight in the air.

• Like 1

Here is an example scene with three cascading fountains and some emitters I whipped up as an example for you along with a simple single bowl and emitter file. Best to start off small then scale up. ;)

Note that just like a real fluid emitter, it needs velocity (think of it as outlet pressure) in order for it to emit fluid.

You have to adjust the sink at the base of the bottom of the fountain to suck out enough water or the whole thing will overflow. Shucks, just like a real fountain.

fountain_prototype_starter_v001.hip

simple_bowl_flip.hip

And a tip: As far as colliders go, you need to make sure the primitive normals face outward. You will notice the Reverse SOP after the PolyExtrude SOP as I extruded inward and this results in inward facing primitive normals.

If you find that the fluid is passing right through your colliders, chances are the primitive normals are in the wrong direction and your volume collider will be inverted.