fire render grain

breadbox

I am working on a fire simulation and the motion seems pretty decent in the viewport, now its time to render. I don't have much experience to detect problems in the render. I am getting what looks like to be a low res grainy 'voxel' render with mantra. I feel like I have a fair amount of resolution in the grid. 300 x 350 x 200. 22 million voxels. Maybe its the shader that needs work? when I try to lower the grid divisions it takes a pretty long time to sim, but maybe this is what is needed. Can anyone give advice should I look to the shader or the render settings, or perhaps some other settings in the pyro container, or do I bite the bullet and increase the divisions.

image shows some stats.

post-5696-0-60948400-1369886591_thumb.jp

You should begin by increasing your Transparant Samples on your Sampling tap in the Mantra node. Take some time to figure out what the best value is, normally it lies between 4 and 16. If you need a higher value than 16 it normally is time to bump some other values :)

using the density ramp seems to help to coax some more detail out of the flame. Im not sure if this is what you meant by "play with the ramps". Creating some peaks and valleys seems to give it more of a "firey" look.

I still think there could be a bit more detail in there, not sure how I might adjust it more to get it better?

post-5696-0-73826300-1369930480_thumb.jp

Edited by breadbox
  • Like 1