How to dynamically reload HDK plug-ins

Are there any way to reload HDK plug-ins without relaunching the Houdini software? Recently I am working the C++ HDK development projects. It is a tedious work to relaunch Houdini again and again for debugging C++ codes.

Edited by jiahongyuan

Guest mantragora

Beside Maya I don't know any other application that have this functionality, so the answer is no,

BUT

***THE ADIVCE BELOW IS ONLY THEORY. UNTESTED!***

so I don't know even will it work :). Maybe if you split your plugin entry point from the rest of the code, so you would have two DLL's, maybe than you could just update the main plugin code and replace DLL and it would still work, since entry point DLL doesn't change and is still plugged into Houdini.

EDIT: Hm... This option, I think Softimage also have... Hmmm...

EDIT2: ***THE ADVICE ABOVE IS BAD THEORY. TESTED!***

OK, it doesn't work. I tested it by removing selector(SOP = first dll and Selector = second dll) from one of my plugins while Houdini was launched and it still used it like if nothing happened

Edited by mantragora

Thisthread has a hint although it didn't worked for me when I tried, but this could be my fault. Splitting objects obviously won't work, as a system usually pre-loads dynamic objects.

I usually setup a test case with hscript which instantly tests developed operator and quits. Even starting Houdini (assuming test scene is ready and wisely prepared) is not that bad once you make it a couple of times. It starts in 5 seconds or so.

People usually claim plugin managers are evil, not sure why... :blink:

Edited by symek
  • Like 1

Guest mantragora

There are some topics about reloading dll with C++. You can't change Houdini but with this double DLL approach you could implement your own reloading.

• Like 1