waving mechanical strands

jim c

I'm trying to build some strands that will be able to move around a bit, either by some random noise expression, or via dynamics. So I created a little network (attached) that does this through the use of wirecapture/wire deformer SOPs. I use a scatter SOP to create some initial pts with custom attrs on them, and then drive a copy sop with these point. The copy SOP has a tube network that creates a tube (based on a line's length) and then adds a wire capture and wire deform SOP to it. The problem is that when you get beyond 40 or so points it gets pretty slow. Is this a dumb way to do this? Is there an alternate approach that's faster?

strands.hipnc

Hi Jim!

I didn't looked into your file but some time ago I did some "tentacles" that were supposed to move on their own... I ended up not using them, but that's a different story!

What I did was simply a set of bones from curve and used CHOPS with a noise expression to move them... You can control how much they move, strength and so on...

If you want let me know and I'll post the file.

Cheers!

as far as I know, copy sop is not multi-threaded, so, use it with some caution.

So, the idea is to cook the copy sop just in the first frame, so the animation must happen after the copy sop.

I changed some things in your file, but u will still need to randomize the lengths of the tubes...

strands.hipnc

I had a look at these last night - thanks for post these gui and cpb, there some really great stuff in there. The stuff with lattices is amazing, I didn't even know you could do that! Still looking into how to incorporate these, but it should help a lot!