Pyro 2 / lowres pyro upres pyro

ssimoneaux

Hello,

I'm using Houdini 12.5, and am going through some pyro tutorials for a while back. It looks like in earlier versions of Houdini, the pyro shelf tools created a low res pyro and upres pyro node automatically, while in the current version this has changed to an import_pyro_build node.

My question is, with this new setup, once the simulation is exported from the import_pyrofields node, is adding in an upres node still necessary? Any explanations or pointing to previous posts that discuss this would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new to Houdini, and am still learning the ins and outs of the program, thus the confusion.

Thanks,

You can still upres your sim with the upres shelf button but since Pyro2 is faster and better at managing memory the upres stage has been removed by defaut. It all depends on how much time and memory you have, for most situations I would say you can get the same details faster while using less RAM when going through lowres+upres, as long as you know how to map the noise properly - it's not a magic one button solution :)

Edited by bunker