Shading points

Hello

Probably a very basic question...but I have a bunch of points coming in from a 3d capture/photogrammetry process...

I'd like to shade the points, without having to copy geometry onto them...I tried making particles out of them, and used a basic clay shader...but no luck.

Any recommendations? Do I have to create geometry?

Thanks

Actually let me update my question...

I have a texture I want to apply to my points, but knowing that the points cannot be "shaded", can I take the average color of my texture at each point and apply that color to the points?

Hopefully this makes sense...

Hello

Probably a very basic question...but I have a bunch of points coming in from a 3d capture/photogrammetry process...

I'd like to shade the points, without having to copy geometry onto them...I tried making particles out of them, and used a basic clay shader...but no luck.

Any recommendations? Do I have to create geometry?

Thanks

Are you talking about viewport shading here? If so then for simple shading all you need are normals. So how about calculating the gradient from a sdf of your points and then just color the points. See this simple example.

simple.hip

Hmm, not sure I understand your approach...

What I have is a piece of geometry with UV coords and a texture properly mapped to it. What I would like to achieve is to scatter points on this geometry and transfer the color attribs of the texture to the points...

I think the solution might be quite simple and explained here

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1423&Itemid=132

But I'm very curious about your approach, which seems really interesting. I'll play around with the hip file, thanks a lot for sending.

What I have is a piece of geometry with UV coords and a texture properly mapped to it. What I would like to achieve is to scatter points on this geometry and transfer the color attribs of the texture to the points...

you can just use AttribFromMap SOP to get color information from texture to your points based on UV attribute

you can as well create pscale attribute to control size of the points while shaded

if you have N on the points then you can even tell mantra to orient points based on N instead of looking towards camera by checking Use N For Rendering in your object in Render/Geometry Tab