attractor

breadbox

I'm wondering if anyone uses the attractor pop? I'm having really poor results dialing in the forces. I'm thinking of building a custom one in VOPs however this seems like a real standard thing that should work better :(. The particles almost always do 1 of 2 things.

1) either rush past their goals and overshoot if the force is too low only to swirl around infinitely,

2) clump together and hit their goal but only if all other noise foces are turned down.

both look really bad.

I have tried to use some drag forces to slow things down with limited success. It just never seems as nice as it should be. There has to be a more natural way to guide the particles to their destinations organically.

I have attached a simple hip for help.

Attractor.hipnc

something that produces a smoother consistent motion, while trying to retain some of the organic motion from fields or forces, yet being able to make the points stick to their goal points without overshooting. This is the constant challenge, If I simply blend the point A position - point B position then maybe it looks very "tween-y"

to sum up. I want to create particles which will attract to buildings on a city skyline. currently my process is to emit from the building and then reverse the simulation.

I think I found a better way with this thread:

http://forums.odforc...ctor#entry55680

by updating the velocity force in the particle towards the goal point and by adding in a multiplier for strength, this gives a pretty controllable way to do morphing and attraction. it also works well on deforming/animating meshes.

There is another way I am in the process of working on which even simpler uses a pointSOP to compare TX1 with TX2. this way its more like a blend shape, but not having to use particles can be handy, and then can add some turbulence with a vopSOP or a CHOP so its a bit more organic.

Ill try to post some results soon. I was just expecting to maybe get more out of the built in AttractorPOP but nothing wrong with going custom to really develop the specific motion better.

Edited by breadbox