Adding Age Attribute to points

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add age attribute to the points of a geometry. Prior to Houdini 12.1 I was using particle sop for this purpose, but it seems they have changed this sop drastically in 12.5.

The thing is, topology of object changes over time and new points are adding up over time. (These are actually points for each Leaf of an Lsystem). Prior to 12.1, Particle sop was working correctly. I was using a large Life Expect value and in the state panel I was choosing the option of "Not to reuse points". This way I was getting a correct Age for each point.

In v12.5 particle sop is working even if you scrub the timeslider (in older versions you had to start from the frame 1), but it doesnt assign a correct Age Value. I didnt understand well, but the age attribute assigned is totally different than the older versions, and I couldnt find a way to use it. For example, a point which is created at 60th frame can have a larger life attribute value than the one created at the first frame.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me whats going on here or suggest me a workaround/alternative way to add age attribute to the points.

Thank you,

Arda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add age attribute to the points of a geometry. Prior to Houdini 12.1 I was using particle sop for this purpose, but it seems they have changed this sop drastically in 12.5.

The thing is, topology of object changes over time and new points are adding up over time. (These are actually points for each Leaf of an Lsystem). Prior to 12.1, Particle sop was working correctly. I was using a large Life Expect value and in the state panel I was choosing the option of "Not to reuse points". This way I was getting a correct Age for each point.

In v12.5 particle sop is working even if you scrub the timeslider (in older versions you had to start from the frame 1), but it doesnt assign a correct Age Value. I didnt understand well, but the age attribute assigned is totally different than the older versions, and I couldnt find a way to use it. For example, a point which is created at 60th frame can have a larger life attribute value than the one created at the first frame.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me whats going on here or suggest me a workaround/alternative way to add age attribute to the points.

Thank you,

Arda

Hey, did you get this working? I have a changing point count of points 'appearing', of course my point number is changing all over the place at each frame, I'd like to add a 'by id' age attribute but this technique is not working. I guess because your points were being created incrementally in point number order it worked bu for me point numbers are changing on each frame.

There has to be a simple way to add an age attributes by id for points that appear.