Should I use VDB volumes for speed in place of standard volumes?

Hi,

I am watching some dynamics tutorials, and they are using standard Houdini volumes. If I use VDBs, would I gain a massive speed improvement when cooking?

If so, is it simply a matter of dropping them in place of standard Houdini volumes so VDBs are created instead? I just don't know if all DOPs, etc work with VDBs without doing anything special.

You should use them when you can in sops -- they are generally faster to create, and you can also convert them to standard Houdini volumes if you need. We aren't using 12.5 yet, so we have the plugins compiled from the openvdb site, and I use it for pretty much all of my collision volumes, as it's much faster than using a standard isooffset for generating an sdf (even with high bandwidth values and converting to a Houdini volume), thanks to the multithreading.

They are not used in dops for the actual simulations yet, but using them for sources and collisions works in 12.5 (afaik).

• Like 1

Thanks alot guys, yes I meant for pyro, smoke, etc. If they are not supported in those, do you know how will they be supported? I am wondering if you will have to specify the type of volume of if it will be automatically identified? I imagine auto method might be slower since it will try to cover both types?

I will use them for sources and collisions then.

Thanks again :)

In the future I would assume it would be as seamless as possible, much like it is now for some things. A quick example of 'seamless' would be that a node like a volume vop asks the volume primitive (whether it's houdini volume or openvdb), for some data at a given position or voxel index, and gets the data back from the primitive. It works for vdb OR a houdini volume seamlessly for us. I don't know if it's feesable or truly beneficial for them to use openvdb for the simulations themselves, there may be good reasons why a sparse grid doesn't work well for a pyro simulation, or maybe a situation where Houdini's volumes are better at certain things... I guess somebody from SESI would be able to provide better insight. :)

Check out Johner's thread here btw:

http://www.sidefx.co...t=vdb collision

Edited by Solitude
  • Like 1