How to prevent FLIP fluid from leaking?

Hi,

I made a simple scene with a bowl but the FLIP fluid is leaking out of the bowl right off the bat. Is there a way to prevent this? I played with the collision settings for bullet, but it seems it's limited. I turned off "Polygons as Convex Hull", but then I don't see anything for the collision. Is this normal? Should it at least not show me the same geometry when I am only showing the collision geometry?

I increased the substeps in the FLIP solver to 20 and it reduced the number of particles leaked but still it didn't completely prevent it. Is this the right workflow?

Here is how it looks without increasing the substeps:

4HVMr3h.png

Thanks, that solved it but which collision is being used for the simulation since this is a static object? Is it the RBD Solver tab or the Bullet Data tab? I know for RBD objects, you can choose the type using the Rigid Body Solver DOP, but I don't have it in this simulation.

Or should I always assume the RBD Solver tab, if there isn't anything that uses the Bullet Solver? Just seems like there is no indication of what's being used.

Thanks guys.

@YongBin: You mean model a separate thicker object?

@Christian: It looks like this:

2Uzx1Hq.png

@JonathanGranskg: So if the geometry is used in both RBD and FLIP sim, then effectively you will have to define 2 different collisions, and make sure they look identical even though they have different tools (RBD vs Bullet)? Anytime the mesh is changed, you will have to modify 2 collisions?

@jkunz07: This was the default value. I will try lowering it along with the substep.

Thanks Christian, yours is much better. Mine ended up like that because I used the shelf tools, so not as optimal I guess.

Btw when I play the animation in your scene, I see some particles penetrating the bowl object deeply. Is this normal? Here is the pic:

7KraktE.png

You have to think of the centroid of the sphere, that's the point that's colliding, not the sphere, that's just a visualisation....

Higher resolution sim... Mesh.

Also a higher res collision as well I bet.

Edited by ChristianW
  • Like 1

Note that Particle collision detection doesn't work with Source Volume-style collisions, as it relies on there being a collision DOP Object to collide with. In that case you'll need to use Move Outside Collision.

Also enabling Collision Separation on the FLIP Object and setting it to 1x or even 0.5x of your Particle Separation will give you a higher-res collision field even when just testing at low particle resolutions. Remember there are two collision resolutions at play here: the resolution of the collision SDF that you set on either the Static Object or the FluidSource SOP; and the resolution of the FLIP solver's collision field, into which it samples the SDF's of the various collision objects. If the collision field is too low-res, the solver won't really "see" the collisions, no matter how high resolution the original collision SDF.

Edited by johner
  • Like 7

Thanks johner, that really clears up alot of details. What setting should I increase in the flip solver's collision tab though? There is velocity and surface extrapolation, but not sure if they are it. Or should I play with the Volume Fraction Method?

Also how do you guys visualize the volume based collisions accurately? RBD object's collisions are clear because you can see the geometry. But with the volumetric collisions, it seems it's harder to judge, especially when I am inside the DOPnet where both the geometry and the collision object disappears.

Ryan check this out:

http://www.sidefx.co...journal=default

"Fixed a long standing bug in the FLIP Solver that caused phantom velocities along the bottom of curved collision containers such as bowls or cups."

Major changes in the collision extrapolation method. Maybe this is what you're looking for.

Edited by Sifis
  • Like 1

Just so you're aware, this bug had to do with liquid standing or settling into a curved container (well, really any container, curved or otherwise). Prior to this fix, it was difficult to make a standing glass or bowl of water without phantom velocities around the bottom edges.

But everything else in this thread about making sure the solver can properly "see" you collision in the first place still holds.

• Like 1