Problems with nested DAs

Hey guys,

I have problems with nested digital assets. I have a locked DA which has geometry nodes inside which are editable. If I create this locked DA inside another DA and lock it and modify the parameters of the editable nodes inside and save the hip file, my changes are not saved when I reload the hip file. Say for example, I have a table asset which is an otl and I have a room which is another otl and I have created the table inside this room and saved it as location DA. Now if I modify the editable nodes of my table or room and save it in a HIP file and reload the HIP file, all my changes are lost. Even if I unlock and save the top level location DA, my changes are not saved. HIP files are supposed to store all modifications right. Is it trying to match the current definition everytime I open the hip file ? Am I doing something wrong here ? What could be the problem and the potential solution for this problem ?. I highly appreciate your help in this regard.

Cheers

-J

Thanks for your reply Graham. Herewith I have attached an example hip file wherein I have three otls namely ball, ballBase and a room. The room has a geometry node and the ballbase DA which inturn contains a geometry node and the ball DA which inturn contains a geometry node. All geometry nodes inside those assets are editable. If you look at the hip file, you'll understand. All assets are locked. Now if I modify the parameters on the ball geometry node say I increase the scale of the ball from 1 to 2 and save the scene. Then I reload the scene, the scale of the ball is still 1. So the changes I made to this node is not saved in the hip file. Now I unlock the room DA which is the top level asset and set the scale of the ball to 2 and save the room asset. Now if I recreate this asset, still the scale is 1. I thought its trying to match the current definition of the ball. So I did a test by creating just the ball DA and set the scale of the ball to 2 and saved this asset. Now if I recreate the room, the scale of the ball is still 1. I'm not whether I'm doing something wrong here or this is a bug. I appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks

-J

EditableNodesTest.zip

My experience with nested HDAs, certainly those which have any interface of their own (as opposed to simply processing geometry autonomously), is that they need their (user changable) parameters propagated up the chain of parent HDA parameters, as per the attached.

No idea why this is, maybe it's a bug - the child HDA needs a physical or symbolic link to the container HDA for it's state to persist when you hit match definitions up the chain (that said, only the referencing parameters will persist). Edit: Just looking at this again, I may be wrong about the linking, - hard to see for sure though due to the fact that, as Graham says, this stuff is a bit obscure, it's hard to follow what's happening as you make changes.

Note the attachment is modified in Apprentice; I don't want to break your .hip versions!

EditableNodes2.zip

Edited by Adam T