cflags linking problems

I am currently working on some older inlinecpp experiments to become more familiar with the HDK but I run into problems with the latest Houdin builds. Whenever the code compiles I get an error. If I click again on the node to force a recook everything works fine. After some trial and error I think I found the problem. It seems that hcustom is looking for "C:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/Include" what does not exist on my computer. I am not sure why this path is needed because the compiler is somewhere else and I had never problems with it until I installed the latest houdini build. I tried different versions but always got the same error though hcustom builds the dso. In Houdini 12.1 everything compiles fine and as far as I can say this problem did not happen with older Houdini 12.5 builds. So my question now is if this is my mistake and something with my setup went wrong or is it maybe a bug? It´s hard to say for me with my very limited experience in C++ and the HDK.

Btw. I am on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using Visual Studio 2008? First test that hcustom on an sample SOP works (eg. SOP_Star.C, and make sure you can create it in Houdini). If that works, then perhaps something needs to be updated in 12.5 since we dropped support for Visual Studio 2005. inlinecpp is extremely hard to do properly on Windows.

Thanks for your reply Edward!

Yes, I am on VC 2008. When I use hcustom to build the SOP_Star.c example I get the same error, even thought it compiles. First I thought it might be a problem on my computer but I get the same warning on a different machine. The strange thing is that hcustom worked for me without any problems in older Houdini 12.5 builds.

That's what I get when I compile with hcustom.

Making 'sop_star.o' and 'C:/Users/X5340/DOCUME~1/houdini12.5/dso\sop_star.dll' from 'sop_star.c'
CFLAGS = -TP -Zc:forScope -nologo -DVERSION="12.5.469" -DI386 -DWIN32 -DSWAP_BITFIELDS -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501 -DWINVER=0x0501 -DNOMINMAX -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE -D_SCL_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB -I . -I "E:/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/include" -I "C:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/Include" -I "E:/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.469/toolkit/include" -Ox -MD -EHsc -GR -bigobj -wd4355 -w14996 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DAMD64 -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -DFBX_ENABLED=1 -DOPENCL_ENABLED=1 -DOPENVDB_ENABLED=1 -DMAKING_DSO -Fo"sop_star.o" -LD -link /libpath:"E:/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/lib/amd64" /libpath:"C:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/Lib/x64" "E:/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.469/custom/houdini/dsolib/*.a" "E:/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.469/custom/houdini/dsolib/*.lib" -out:"C:/Users/X5340/DOCUME~1/houdini12.5/dso/sop_star.dll"
Running: hcompile -e sop_star.c
"E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\amd64\cl" -TP sop_star.c -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf3141062ab519875732aed33b5ed0e2ca30f9a73be4944b060abfd265f4068fd26220780602ade729c0311c3cabb1109c87a94441033de964f095bc41af51a0ed82588789268d0847ba11fcab4e97a9d5a2d947fba4540b0305b144c471f5509a20ec26a9"' -TP -Zc:forScope -nologo -DVERSION="12.5.469" -DI386 -DWIN32 -DSWAP_BITFIELDS -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501 -DWINVER=0x0501 -DNOMINMAX -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE -D_SCL_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB -I . -I "E:/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/include" -I "C:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/Include" -I "E:/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.469/toolkit/include" -Ox -MD -EHsc -GR -bigobj -wd4355 -w14996 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DAMD64 -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -DFBX_ENABLED=1 -DOPENCL_ENABLED=1 -DOPENVDB_ENABLED=1 -DMAKING_DSO -Fo"sop_star.o" -LD -link /libpath:"E:/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/lib/amd64" /libpath:"C:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/Lib/x64" "E:/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.469/custom/houdini/dsolib/*.a" "E:/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.469/custom/houdini/dsolib/*.lib" -out:"C:/Users/X5340/DOCUME~1/houdini12.5/dso/sop_star.dll"
sop_star.c
Creating library sop_star.lib and object sop_star.exp
SDK: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A
Embedding manifest 'C:/Users/X5340/DOCUME~1/houdini12.5/dso\sop_star.dll.manifest'
into 'C:/Users/X5340/DOCUME~1/houdini12.5/dso\sop_star.dll''
[/CODE]

And that is the error. It is in German but It means that "C:\Program" is wrongly spelled or could not be found. I think it has something to do with the path to the SDK but for a c++ beginner like me this it just a guess.

[CODE]
Der Befehl "C:\Program" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder konnte nicht gefunden werden
[/CODE]

Many thanks!

Edited by resonanz

Does the latest Houdin build now work for you without the --no-embed-manifest option?

Hi Edward,

no, without using --no-embed-manifest i get the same error as before. I guess the reason is still the same. Hcustom is looking for mt.exe in the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A/Bin/x64/" what does not exist on my computer (I did install the SDK on F:\ instead of C:\).

But as long as I use the --no-embed-manifest option everything works fine, so thanks again!

Guest mantragora

Do you have MSVCDir variable set correctly? If not, add it and set its value to point to VC folder. Read this.

BTW. You are using Windows SDK or VS 2008?

Edited by mantragora

Hcustom is looking for mt.exe in the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A/Bin/x64/" what does not exist on my computer (I did install the SDK on F:\ instead of C:\).

Ah, that's a critical piece of information that was missing, that you had installed the Windows SDK into your F:\ drive. Can you find the exact path of where mt.exe is on your F: drive? Then, please log a thorough bug report at sidefx.com.

Do you have MSVCDir variable set correctly? If not, add it and set its value to point to VC folder. Read this.

BTW. You are using Windows SDK or VS 2008?

I am using just the compiler of Windows SDK.

Ah, that's a critical piece of information that was missing, that you had installed the Windows SDK into your F:\ drive. Can you find the exact path of where mt.exe is on your F: drive? Then, please log a thorough bug report at sidefx.com.

Yep, you are right. It would have been important to mention i guess. I will look for the path to mt.exe and log the bug today.