geometry to slice then extrude the slices for thickness

wurmdrin1111

Hi everybody,

I want to create something and I dont know how to start.

I want to create an asset, that is capable to convert any kind of input geometry into polygons, N-gons (in slices!!!!).

After that I want to extrude these Polygons or N-Gons, so that my object is cut in slices and the slices get some thickness I want.

I think this can be done using VOPSOP.... but actually I have no idea where to start and how to set that up. Maybe there is another way. I could also imagine it can be done with the Ray-SOP, but I dont know how to handle that...

if I put inside a sphere its cut in slice peaces, if I put inside any modeled geometry (one geometry piece only)...I want to have an output of slices, so that I can extrude the result and give the slices a thickness.

I hope somebody can help me...

Thanks

Can you explain what you mean by slices?

To convert everything to polygons, I suggest simply using a convert node.

And if you want to create polygons from N-gons, you can use a divide node with the maximum sides set to 3 or 4.

Edited by acey195

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but it made sense not to make a new one!

In the clip node, the distance expression is :

bbox(opinputpath("..",0),D_YSIZE)/(1+ch("../numrange2"))*stamp("..",chs("../forstamp"),0)

something I'm having a little difficulty wrapping my head around is how the stamp part of the expression makes this all work?

I get that we're taking the height of the object, then dividing by the number of slices (numrange2)..  Then the stamp function takes the "forstamp" variable, which says how far up or down the chunk of the object is to clip...
The part I don't quite get is how it knows to keep the already-clipped parts disconnected from the current part being clipped, since the clip only retains above OR below the plane.. I think I might be misunderstanding what the forstamp value holds as info... OR is it the "each" node handling this part??
Edited by magicU

The trick is happening in the DivideSOP.

"Remove shared edge" is ticked, which means it creates a primitive which edges are made by any open edges found on the input geo.

The torus had been sliced at a given height, so the divideSOP only keeps this altitude and create a flat geometry at this height. Then the HoleSOP and PolyExtrudeSOP make sure it turns into a slice of the height defined by the polyextrude/Global tab/TranslateY expression.

Since the forEachSOP has the "Merge result" checked on, each sliced is added to the previous cut one to get the final object

• Like 1