Is there a way to define default attribute values in VEX

magneto

Hi,

If you are using the Wrangle SOPs or Inline VOP, etc, is there a way to define the default values of an attribute?

AttribCreate allows you to do this. For example if I want the Cd to be red for the target points, but blue for everything else (default). I haven't seen a function or a way to do this in VEX.

Is this doable without using the AttribCreate?

Thanks that's what I thought. I also turn off Write Values, though it's not speed I am worried but having to use another node to do this before the Wrangle node. It's the same problem when you want to create variables in AttribWrangle as there is no addvariablename function available there. So you have to resort to using AttribCreate again.

It would be nice if the AttribWrangle was more self-sufficient.

Yeah, it's just the same old limitations that have always been there. There's not even a way to cast an attribute as a vector on creation in CVEX, at least you can use the AddAttribute for that in regular VEX. I actually don't mind using the AttribCreate too much, I just think of vex binding as a shortcut when you don't want to do anything fancy.

• Like 1