What do Two Dimensional and Plane parameters do for SOP Vector Field D

magneto

Hi,

Same parameter is also in SOP Scalar Field DOP but they are not in the help cards :( Anyone knows what they actually do? I toggled them but I couldn't see any change in my field data.

I assume twod is "Two Dimensional"? Because in Details View it always show as 0, even when I turn on Two Dimensional.

Guest mantragora

Same parameter is also in SOP Scalar Field DOP but they are not in the help cards...

Two Dimensional:

One of the divisions of the voxel grid will be forced to one to create two dimensional field.

Plane:

If set to two dimensional, this plane determines which axes remain unaffected.

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

Thanks mantragora. Isn't it like setting Two Dimensional on a Smoke Object? Because then the result is clear. But when I do this for SOP Scalar/Vector Field DOPs, the visualization still stays the same in the viewport (Streamers = off). So I don't know if it's actually doing anything. Maybe those are not hooked?

Edited by magneto

Guest mantragora

Look inside SmokeObjectDOP(unlock it) => SmokeConfigureObject(unlock it) => DensityData node. It's a SOP_ScalarFieldDOP. Both of those parameters are exposed outside. Now go figure what you messed in your setup that you can't see change ;)

BTW. Press D in your NetworkPane and go to Dependency => Show Local Dependency Links. It will help you to see what other nodes are affected by this node.

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

Thanks I did that but all I see is that is uses it for its Scalar and Vector Field DOPs. My setup is very simple. I just have an Empty Object and a SOP Vector Field that brings in volume data from SOPs. I see the volume as smoke, vectors and streamers accurately. But I don't see any change by changing them in my setup.

I assume maybe something else that does the resize is making sure the bounding box is "2d". Gas Resize DOP? :)

This is the tutorial I was following:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1234&Itemid=262

I found the problem though, it's not me, but the tools. I am very sure this is a UI bug. I had Use SOP Dimensions turned on, which seems to override the Two Dimensional option. Once you turn that off, then it affects the result. So the bug is those options should be disabled if Use SOP Dimensions is turned on. I am really surprised no one complained about this before. It's a very confusing user experience.