Fastest way of copying all points in a detail into an array

Hello.

I have a detail and I want to copy all points, the trivial slution is obviously to iterate through all points and add them top the GEO_Point array.

One easy optimization is to make the loop multithread and copy the points in pages.

But I was wondering if there is any function in the HDK to batch copy blocks of points from a detail into an array.

Something similar to a memcopy wher you copy a block of data.

Thanks.

P

Guest mantragora

From documentation:

"To be able to start removing problematic legacy structures and behaviour from the HDK, many functions are now deprecated, including anything with GEO_Point, GEO_Vertex, GEO_AttributeHandle, or GEO_PrimList in the signature."

What you want to do?

From documentation:

"To be able to start removing problematic legacy structures and behaviour from the HDK, many functions are now deprecated, including anything with GEO_Point, GEO_Vertex, GEO_AttributeHandle, or GEO_PrimList in the signature."

What you want to do?

Nope sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly, I want to dump the P attribute for all points into a GA_Attribute array, for motion blur in a procedural.

Use GA_Detail::getPos3AsArray() to get all the positions in an array. You can then use that to set a deformation blur attribute from the array.

Thanks Graham, very useful, I'll give it a try.

I'm just wondering if you have millions of points, the copy into the array will use threads or it will just loop through all points?