chops performance question

jim c

I was working on a simple car rig today and after some experimenting with a couple of techniques got it to work. However I did notice some performance issues once I started animating the car. I tried moving the main position null that moves the car with traditional key frames, and following along a path. With keyframes it seems to be reasonably responsive, slower than I would like, but not bad. But when moving position null along a path, the performance was horrible, visibly cooking each frame, taking 2-3 seconds each time. Using the Performance Monitor it looks kind of like the various origin("","../somenode...","TX") expressions are pretty expensive. Is there something about following a path that makes things really expensive?

Is there some way to speed up the calcs in chops? Is there a way to do this in vex code that would be more efficient? I'm aware that I could always cache out the geo and read that back in, but that's really a drag to have to do that.

BY the way I'd like to offer a huge to thanks to Steve at 3DBuzz for his videos there and to Jeff at Sidefx (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=105002&sid=9596fb7bdea464a92d793e372b770608) where he offers an alternate solution. I ultimately went his route and tweaked things a bit.

Yes I do, I'll try that and see how it works.

On a totally different note, I noticed that in a couple of car rig tutorials for Maya where they demo how to make the wheel automatically roll, they don't seem to cover things at all?! All they show is how to roll the wheel in a straight line, and even then it only works going forward, not backwards, and the problem that steve mentions and solves isn't even addressed.