Measuring angle between faces

ch3

Hi there,

I've got a newbie question.

Using a point SOP, I am setting the Y component of all the point to 0 and my object becomes flat.

I would like to remove all the edges, apart from the far out ones that define the border of the flat shape.

I was thinking to measure the angle between the two shared faces for each edge and create a group based on a threshold so I can delete it afterwards. I know it may miss features that overlap, but it may be good enough for what I need it for.

How would I go about doing that? Would I need to use VEX to calculate the angles and store them into an attribute? As far as I see, attributes can't be assigned to edges. Is that right?

Is there maybe a better way to day that?

thank you

if you just want to keep the border or outline append Divide SOP and check Remove Shared Edges

if your shape is already flat then face angles are 0, but if you meant edge angles, you can just iterate (for or foreach loop) over neighbours (neighbours() function) of each point and compute their angles in VOPs or VEX

or much easier

use Group SOP in Edges Mode

uncheck Enable in Number tab

and in Edges tab check Enable, and play with the angle options and you can decide whether to measure angle between faces or edges

great! The GroupSOP did the job.
The object has many overlapping faces, as it derives from a closed surface model (ie a sphere) before flatting it. I am using a polyDoctor to remove some dogie artifacts after dissolving the non-border edges.

thanks a lot!