Learning POPs and VOPs, few beginner questions

I'm trying to learn POPs and VOPs a little right now, I have two questions about those:

First of all, what exactly is the difference with the new POPs and the old POPs? It seems that they work different from old POPs, so it's hard to figure them out, especially since they seem to be incompatible with old POP tutorials. Should I try to just ignore the old POP system altogether since it'll be obsolete in the future?

Also, I'm trying to do something really simple with VOPs right now:

I am scattering points on a circle which are then added to a (currently old) popnet and I want there to be more points at the center than on the outer radius of the circle.

So I thought if I get the distance of these points, fit those to a range and multiply this range with the point position I will get the result I'm going for, which seems to be working in general. The only problem is that this is being executed on every frame if I am not mistaken? Thus the points get scaled down more and more on every frame, which I don't want. How do I get this to be performed only once?

Do I mix a node between that activates it based on frame number?

Edited by Andreas Galster

Don't mind the disconnnected nodes on the bottom. The effect I am trying to achieve is on the top node network that's going in to the P outpoint.

As you can see as time progress the effect accumulates on top of each other, which I don't want to happen. I want it to be a static effect.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't sure if I should watch it since I don't really know anything (or almost nothing) about the old POPs.

voppop.hip

Edited by Andreas Galster