Object Type channel saving behavior

I posted this question on the sideFX list and am yet to get a reply. It may be a bug or I need a change of approach. If it is the latter maybe you folks can shed some light.

When I edit an Object Type and then save the changes I have made to the network by opening the type properties and clicking Apply or Accept it saves the current channels of the object type instance that I am editing as the default top level parameters.

Say I am animating my OBJECT TYPED character rig (by that I mean the character is the object type

there're a few things you could try.

1. Turn off "Save Initial Contents and Parameter" on the Basic page of the Operator Type Properties.

2. Try right clicking the node you made the changes to and clicking Save Operator Type, rather than opening the properties and hitting accepts. I'm not sure if this affects the initial parameter settings.

3. Rather than making the change in the node you're working on, place down a clean one, make the change there, save it, and check it in the one you're working on. This one kind of sucks because you may need the visual feedback of whatever the current setup is.

You should have all the Nulls' channels as part of the My_Character operator type's parameters. In this way you shoud be able to move the nulls for any character and still keep the the operator in Match Current Definition.

However, in the first pane of the Operator Type Properties there are options to save defaults as initial parameters. Look at that.

Thanks just the answers I needed.

But the nulls I was referring to should be left alone :P

I am working my way through my limb Object Types, they have the bones outside the Object Type and they point to the kin chops inside the Object Type so deformations are not the problem of the arm or leg Object Type. you can hang all the funky character specific tricks you want off the skeletal bones (the ones outside the Object Type).

If I reinvent the leg rig with better more robust solutions I can update the leg rig and al human like characters can get the new leg, no sweat.