Debris based on distance

-HEAVY-

hey its me again B)

is there a way - ohh i know there is a way - but i did not know em yet - so how can i emit debris based on distance?

i think about emitting from fractures and i thought it would be a good way to check which edges are how far from corresponding
edges and than emit particles till the distance is to big and stop emitting - so there are only particles from fresh breaks ...

does somebody know where i can find infos or can lead me ?

thx de -HEAVY-

The technique you're describing is a good way to determine when to start emitting debris (when two points or prims that started off as neighbors become pulled apart --> emit debris) but I'm not sure you want to use this kind of distance based logic to stop emissions. Consider two faces that stay within the distance threshold will continue emitting indefinitely. A timer might be more useful here, as it guarantees you'll stop emitting at some point. 

Regardless, you can do distance calculations pretty easily in VEX using point cloud lookups. Be sure to store initial neighbors as attributes first.

Consider two faces that stay within the distance threshold will continue emitting indefinitely. A timer might be more useful here, as it guarantees you'll stop emitting at some point. 

ohh yeah i understand the bottle neck ... how would that timer thing work ?

and do you have any examples for that VEX distance calculation and how it fits in the dop Sim ?