Guest mantragora

In this polycount topic:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132334

there is one interesting line in main post

John Courte from Side Effects and Kenny Lammers will talk Houdini + Substance + Unity for games.

Now the question is, does it mean that there will be Substance Designer support in Houdini or is it about already existing Unity support?

Anyone heard something more?

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anything since last time?

I noticed grayolorin asked the same question in the Allegorithmic forums from last December, and the reply was "Stay tuned ;)"

Someone's going to buy those fellas out soon, they're just too shiny.

please let SideFX buy Substance...

it would be perfect, and please let Autodesk stay the hell away!!! 

it's just that SideFX never really buys other companies so far...

Yea, there are a couple of technologies that they have acquired over their history, one that springs to mind is Stephen Regelous's (creator of Massive) L-systems. 

But i would be much happier with a close partnership than an acquisition. If they acquire them it would require so much time and effort. You need to justify your purchase, manage/restructure both divisions, re-market your products accordingly, and focus your tasks differently. When it goes wrong, as we have all seen, your goal of trying to please everyone ends up pleasing no one. Acquisitions when they are done right is more of a miracle of co-ordination than engineering feat. It would be a risk for SESI i think. This is just a layman speaking. 

However i feel Substance is a great fit for Houdini. If SESI acquires them it would be a big boost for the artistic side of procedural content creation.

But as i said, a close technology partnership would benefit both i think. SESI has had a lot of experience with this in the past with Dreamworks, Pixar and Sony. 

Of course if AD buy Substance i don't think many people will be happy. 

Edited by abvfx

• 2 weeks later...

Yep i agree, but like i said don't you think it might be a bit much for them to take on?

Plus anything you develop you have to support. With tech partnerships with Sony, Dreamworks, Pixar, Houdini Engine, Si users and general Houdini users to cater for, an acquisition might be spreading them a little thin. I'm no developer but i imagine it would take a reasonable amount of time to look through the codebase of Substance and find a way to either integrate it into Houdini or just develop extra features. Let alone the managing of another company.

I said i wouldnt mind a partnership but even then that could be stretching them in too many directions. Imagine all the features you want improved/fixed/added and then think of how much of that dev time was spent supporting Substance. I like what it can do and think it would be great for Houdini. But SESI isn't AutoDesk :P