Simulation performance on a low-budget system

henrik.g

I am also curios how to handle large simulation scene, so let imagine a scenario:

-we have 32 GB ram

-we are in less eating ram platform , let say linux

-we have a simulation scene with 300 frames long

-after 50 frame running simulation all 32 GB ram is filled up :o

so how is the real workflow and solution? 192 GB ram ? :blink:

-is it possible we run our simulation in 6 step each 50 frame ?  so in each step houdini knows it should start from last frame of last step ( step 2 starting from frame 50 for example) and in each step houdini knows to not calculating those frames before again.(for example in step 2 it starts calculation from frame 50)

I guess making an initial state for each last frames of each step is a story for itself.

I am not expert in simulation but I don't think spending more money on hardware will fix every issues, there should be a workflow for it, hope you discus about it and open it for me too.

Thanks

I am not still entirely sure the Ram usage is entirely fixed or if it was only fragemntation , but still fills up ram on ubuntu 12.04 but unlike windows it keeps running, One way i got mine fixed on windows was to overwrite tbballocproxy.dll ( I am not sure about the  name) in H13 with the one from H12.5 and ram usage got fixed on windows, maybe it is slower but at least it works fine.

For optimzation reasons, I pre cache out all the collisions as VDBs , this speeds up sims quiet a lot, because you only have to bake the collisions once, then you can iterate faster for actual pyro solver.

I am not still entirely sure the Ram usage is entirely fixed or if it was only fragemntation , but still fills up ram on ubuntu 12.04 but unlike windows it keeps running, One way i got mine fixed on windows was to overwrite tbballocproxy.dll ( I am not sure about the  name) in H13 with the one from H12.5 and ram usage got fixed on windows, maybe it is slower but at least it works fine.

Is this with the latest H13? That was an old hack-fix, Windows should be working fine these days.