NewPops Collision Detect

Hi All

I am having an issue with the new POPS 

The bounce on collision is now treated from Static objects.

So I create a static object an everythings cool 

Now if I put a collision detect and set the Collision Target either to DOPS -> staticobject  or to SOPS to my geometry  and set the behavior to color hits or create a just hit group it doesnt work.

Or to be more presice it will color some particles red but most of them will be left white.

Am I missing something?

I could surely use POPVOPS to volume sample and color etc etc but I feel like its something that can be set more easily

You are right!

So the scene is as simple as it gets.

What I need is particles momentarily become red once they collide and be part of "mygroup" that I am creating on the POPcollision detect node

Instead I only get  some of them turn red and its forever once they hit.

This is something that I could do really easy in the old POPS.

The only way I could go around it was to create my own collisions in POPVOPS with volume sample and volume gradient and subsequently control the color depending on proximity in the volume but I think it must be a one click solution like it used to and I am missing something basic :)

Hope its clear what I am after.

POP_collision_problem.hipnc

Hey harima,

thanks for the hip, it more clear like this what could be the problem.

3 things you can do:

First, give your particles a scale with a pop property or using @pscale. So they have a specific size to be able to detect the surface before the point hit it. I think it should resolve almost all the problem but... I think you can also play with the default particle size in the pop collision detect if you d'ont want to set the pscale attribute.

Adding substeps to your Dopnetwork will also help detecting the collision, if some are not detected yet with the pscale

And give more resolution to your staticobject never hurt, 30 is a bit low. Increase the divsion size in collision/RBDSolver/volume " uniform Division" Check show Collision guide Geometry if you want to verify if you have enough resolution.

Cheers

Doum

Edited by Doum
  • Like 1

Thank you Doum

The pscale did the job!

One more thing if you dont mind

In old Pops I could middle click in a node in the popnet and see how many particles are in a specific group

Now this info doesnt exist anymore. 

Is it somewhere else?

Thanks again

Someone correctme if I'm wrong, but I think the only way is to import them back to sop with a dopio or dop import to see the number of particle in a group. I think SESI is working on that kind of details...

So maybe we will get something soon for that kind of preview.

cheers

Doum