How to read an attribute from a packed primitive every frame in POPs?

Hi,

I am creating a point attribute on packed primitives and I can see it on the RBD Packed Object when I MMB on it and also on the POP Force node. But when I use this attribute in POP Force, or look at the Details View, it's always 0. At Frame > 5, it should be 1.

Am I missing something?

How can force the DOP network or the POP nodes to read the attribute from the SOP network continually?

packedattrib.hip

I used a SOP solver to transfer the data over from the SOP context and added it between the bullet solver and the pop force.

I think the deal is that within dynamics contexts, the dynamics take over control of every attribute.

So you need to explicitly pull in the attributes you want, if DOPs isn't controlling them in another way.

I normally do the transfer with a VOP SOP, but in this example I used attrib copy, since it's a little clearer for examples :-)

You don't want to just overwrite every attribute wholesale, because then things like P or v or whatever else would also be overwritten and you wouldn't get any motion.

packedattrib_sopsolver_BA.hipnc

Edited by fieryspoon
  • Like 1

Thanks fieryspoon, it works great :) That's the kind of thing I find spending too much time spinning my wheels. I don't know if it's because DOPs are not as intuitive as SOPs. But there are lots of gotchas like this one needs to know to get things working.