Scene Specific Variables

Darkster

Is there a way to store scene specific variables? If I use environment varaibles, they persist across the houdini session and are visible when I create a new scene.

Another problem, if I create a geometry node, and put this bit of code in the Python Source Editor (so it runs when the scene is opened)

import hou
parm = hou.parm("/obj/geo1/file1/file")
print parm.name()

It gives me a "`NoneType` object has no attribute name" error.

It looks to me like it's trying to find a parameter before it exists. Is there a way to make the script run AFTER the scene has been cooked?

I need to evaluate some parameters & store their values in scene specific varaibles so I can compare the values next time I open the scene. (I'm creating a version manager which, when the scene is opened, checks if there any new versions in the folder the parameter is looking at)

I would like to avoid creating additional nodes. While it should load properly and store data nicely, it's a extra node floating around which the user can then delete or break. (unless there's a way to hide the node)

I'll do this in the meantime though, until a better solution arises.