some questions please help me :( !!!!

Hi guys ...

I am new in this forum and I heard it is a good forum and there is a pro members here can help me , so I get here to ask you some questions please help me because they are very important to me !!

1 - in this page http://odforce.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mentalraysetup there is a way to setup mental ray to houdini but I didnot understand anything .Example , setenv MI_LIBRARY_PATH ”/path/to/mentalray_version/platform/shaders” I replaced the path with C:\Program Files\Autodesk\mentalrayForMaya2015 . Is that right ?? and in the path I replaced there are no folder called platform !!! ,so am I use a wrong version of mental ray ?

in the picture the way I do the things in the page

post-11697-0-33765800-1402553429_thumb.p

post-11697-0-56645000-1402553462_thumb.p

2 - when I setup mental ray can I use its materials and shaders we were using with maya and 3ds max ?? mental ray has a lot of shaders and materials we can use helpfully . and will MR render high quality and accurate such as rendering in maya or max ??

3 - what is ray3rc file ??

4 - can anyone tell me how to setup mental ray with video with full details because I am a beginner , very beginner noooooob ? so I need the way to noob man please !!!

5 - Can I setup V ray in houdini ? If I can , tell me how to do that with full details such as mental ray , please .

6 - Can I use V-ray materials in houidni ??

7 - Can I render fluids and particles and other dynamics in houdini with MR and VR ?

8 - Can I make fluid dynamics or any dynamic or anything and render it in LightWave render or MR or VR ?

9 - Is computer with : Intel Core i 3 and Intel HD graphics and 8 GB ram able to open houdini quitly well ?

10 - How to speed mantra render ?  I make a simple mantra surface material and make reflaction and refraction and I put the sphere which I put the mantra surface on it on a gird with checkboard material and the render took about 20 - 30 minutes !!

I know it is many questions and my English is very bad but I know you will help me :blush:

I am very blush from you :wub::blush:

I'm going to try to give some short answers your questions. Please note that I've never used MR or vray inside of Houdini, only prman, because frankly I haven't had the need to. Mantra is extremely powerful if you know how to handle it.

I hope you don't have an apprentice license, because you can't use external renderers with them. 

1-6. You need to use standalone mental ray, not maya's mental ray plugin. Same with Vray.

7-8. I assume Houdini volumes won't work. If you want to use Vray or MR, I think you're better off with alembics, vdbs etc to pull your data into maya/max from Houdini.

9. I'm guessing it will work decently, but for simulation work you're going to need something better than that.

10. http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/render/understanding

I'm going to try to give some short answers your questions. Please note that I've never used MR or vray inside of Houdini, only prman, because frankly I haven't had the need to. Mantra is extremely powerful if you know how to handle it.

I hope you don't have an apprentice license, because you can't use external renderers with them. 

1-6. You need to use standalone mental ray, not maya's mental ray plugin. Same with Vray.

7-8. I assume Houdini volumes won't work. If you want to use Vray or MR, I think you're better off with alembics, vdbs etc to pull your data into maya/max from Houdini.

9. I'm guessing it will work decently, but for simulation work you're going to need something better than that.

10. http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/render/understanding

thank you very very much , I will download mental standalone to apply

yes , mantra is very slow !!!

Is arnold able to render fluids , smokes and other dynamics ??

Saying both "mantra is very slow" and "I am very beginner noob" is making me believe that you haven't even tried learning Mantra.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But to answer your question, HtoA can render geometry and vdb-volumes.

Edit: HtoA user guide: https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFHUG/Arnold+for+Houdini+User+Guide

But then again HtoA is still in public (customers) beta.

Edited by JonathanGranskg

The best solution will be to learn Mantra instead of trying to trying to render to Vray and Mental d'lay.

Many productions use Mantra and find it very good.