Align Capture Pose Breaking Capture Regions

Milan

I've recently been doing a lot of rigging and skinning and I keep running into this issue. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before I go on bug submitting spree. 

So the problem is this. I create a simple skeleton (whatever shape, in example I used slightly crooked one) apply simple skinning (shelf tool or manually, doesn't make difference). A bit later I find that i need to adjust some bones, so I rotate here, move a little bit there, etc. The I need to realign the capture pose of course, so I hit the shelf tool, pose get's aligned and everything goes to... As soon as I press the 'Align Capture Pose' tools. all my capture regions jump to original places, which effectively means I have no other option, but to paint all the skin weights, even though proximity or region capturing would work for me in many cases. 

The question is. I the tool broken? Is it something else broken? and is it possible to align capture regions of tweaked bones.

I found out mainly because I have many similar simple characters and I'm finding fast way to rig them. Ideally I would just replace mesh, adjust a few positions and lengths of bones, recapture and done. I need capture regions to be always aligned with the bones for this to work though.

I'm attaching pictures of the original bone chain. What happens to capture regions after aligning capture pose and how it looks when skinned 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

post-7709-0-20167600-1410858717_thumb.pn

post-7709-0-15352700-1410858726_thumb.pn

post-7709-0-06524100-1410858734_thumb.pn

you are probably using wrong mode of that tool

without anything selected click on Align Capture Pose and change Synchronize mode to Capture With Animation as you want to align Capture regions to match your transform modifications

then just select bones to align and press Enter

next time you click that tool it should remember the last selected mode, at least until you close Houdini

to fix rigs previously corrupted with the other mode (Animation with Capture) :

as that would apply internal offset for the bones so they appear on the modified position however are capturing the same region as before.

and once you use that mode you can't go back easily, that offset is stored each bone's network on cregion node Rig Adjustments tab, you'd need to zero it out

so if you want a tool to automatically fixes it, you'd probably need to write a simple python to wipe it out for selected bones

Edited by anim
  • Like 1