Randomly make sneakers

Hello,

I like advise on how to do effect. I want to make many many sneakers and make them appear in random order. But I want them to appear in random stages like sole first then I want the outer skin to appear then I want shoes laces to appear. All of the stuff: sole, outer skin, shoe laces are already modeled in 1 object.

I not find a display operator or show-hide operator that I can animate. How do I randomly make maybe 400 of same sneaker in different location and make sneaker appear randomly in premodeled stages?

Maybe I use particles? I don't want them moving I just want them to appear?

Thank you for advise,

Perry

I not find a display operator or show-hide operator that I can animate. How do I randomly make maybe 400 of same sneaker in different location and make sneaker appear randomly in premodeled stages?

13168[/snapback]

Good morning Renderpipe,

I would think that having to render 400 units of anything would direct you towards instances, as opposed to copies.

As usual with Houdini there are several approaches to take. My gut instinct would be to create a particle system that would describe the disribution of the sneakers - or the layout. Then I would create four geo objects - containing progressive stages of the sneaker's build process. ie: geo1 - contains the sole, geo2 - contains the sole and the outer skin, geo3 - contains sole, outer skin, and laces, etc...

Appending a point sop to the particle system would expose to you handy particle level controls such as up-vector, velocity, and most importantly in this case, instance. An expression that will determine which of the geo* objects to instance onto the particle could be based on the particles age, or some other arbitrary attribute that you can create in the pop world. Incidentaly, you could also use these types of attributes to vary the color of the sneakers by passing that attribute to the shader (which will presumabely contain some logic with how to color the sneaker approporiately).

Hope this stirs you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Gene

Good Morning Keyframe,

Thank you for comments. I try to work with POPs as you suggested but I have problem now me not understand. I make new post in effects section about this:

Post in Effects Section

I now realize, I make mistake, the sneakers will not be the same, there will be different sneakers, and shoes so I have to make 400 different soles, tops, laces. No problem. My problem is to attach particles to the obects in their exact location and not move so they appear in their exact locations at random times.

Any informations you can provide would be very much helpful. If you have time to post a sample hip file with sample geometry (box, tube, etc) that would be great also.

As far as expression to determine which geo object to birth.....I have no idea what expression would be.

I am very thankful for your help please,

Perry

I now realize, I make mistake, the sneakers will not be the same, there will be different sneakers, and shoes so I have to make 400 different soles, tops, laces. No problem. My problem is to attach particles to the obects in their exact location and not move so they appear in their exact locations at random times.

13188[/snapback]

Heya Renderpipe,

My suggestion is that you approach the issue from a different angle.

Rather then manually positioning 400 sneakers by hand, rotating, and aligning each shoe :blink: - let the particle system do the work for you. By transforming the shoe geometry TO the particle system (using instances), you will not have to deal with your other problem of copying particles to the geometry - which is also do-able, but slightly more involved.

I have a hip file that demonstrates something like that (a simplistic example) using some primitives[everyones favorite teapot, and some spheres - but you could easily substitute shoes for thoes objects], but it appears that I am not able to post it to this forum.

you can email me directly gene(AT)axyzfx(DOT)com, and i'll send you the hip file.

Cheers,

Gene

ps: Of particular interest in that file is the "add instance" parameter of the point1 SOP in the distribution object - and the expression in it which determines which of the 4 "shoe" objects to instance to which particle.

Fire off a mantra1 render see it in action.

Well, that'll learn me to post a reply before reading the followup posting...

Ignore the posting above as it does not address the exact problem that you are trying to solve - i'll attempt to continue the thread in the other forum.

I promise to read the relevant links before jumping the gun from now on :lol:

Cheers,

G