Is this a viewport issue or a hardware one?

Paint!

Hey all, trying to learn smoke with the great Peter Quint and I keep getting this issue.

If I use a shelf tool then my sphere looks like actual smoke in the viewport, and yet if I star from scratch I get this weird looking lump? On top of that in the Create Density Volume node, if I try to toggle Visualize on smoke and temperature on and off, nothing happens, the lump stays there. No matter 3.3, 2.1 viewport render it won't budge? 

I got this problem when I was using my macbook pro but chalked it up to the system not being powerful enough. 

My pc specs are:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card

My current Nvidia driver is 344?

EDIT: I've also attached how his Iso Surface looks and how mine looksl, also when using slice, mine looks like a blurred splatter? Where he has grids laid out and such

Smoke1.hip

post-12282-0-81410600-1415206967_thumb.p

post-12282-0-77084000-1415207765_thumb.p

post-12282-0-26750200-1415207773_thumb.p

post-12282-0-60576300-1415207932_thumb.p

Edited by Paint!

Haven't opened the file but it just looks like yours is a lower resolution volume. The screenshot is just a smidge away from seeing the area you need to adjust. You want the fluid source / scalar volumes / settings tab. Lower the division size to get better quality.

mine looks like a blurred splatter?

Nope, it looks like a turd. I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist saying it :D

Anyway, I opened your file and it looks exactly the same as on the screenshots above. So it's unlikely to be a hardware issue. 

Regarding the way it looks - I'm guessing it's some arcane setting somewhere out there in the viewport display options. If I drop down a new Fluid Source SOP in your file I get that weird looking shape. If , however, I create a new scene and feed a sphere to a Fluid Source SOP, I get what I expect - smoke in the shape of a sphere. 

With your mouse cursor over the Viewport press D - > go to Effects tab -> turn on Transparency. That's the only difference between my default setting and your file that I could find. 

Nope, it looks like a turd. I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist saying it :D

With your mouse cursor over the Viewport press D - > go to Effects tab -> turn on Transparency. That's the only difference between my default setting and your file that I could find. 

Yep it does look like a turd!

Thank you! That did the job!!!