Sand dripping simulation

edgem

I have been wanting to do a sand simulation but I am a bit concerned about the workflow. Would you guys use pop or flip solver to sim sands falling from a tree branches ? 

I have been trying with popsolver without any great success so far...Too even and looks meh...

Is flip solver more appropriate to do this kind of thing ? I want that dripping effect from the branches as if the tree is emerging from a sand ground but how would you emit particles ? 

I used a paint SOP to paint emissions and constantly emitting until a certain point but it is clearly apparent and probably not the best solution. I used Pop solver for that.

I have attached a preview image of the tree model. As you can see, the branches are very thin so a volume collision would be very heavy and I had to increase the uniform scale to 2000 to get proper collision and get the end of the branches....I guess that's not a good option...Seems like flip solver does not collide very well with very thin shape...

Any advices or kind of setup is welcome :)

Again thanks people 

Still noob in houdini. Just wanting to get the best approach to it as I am kinda stuck here.

:)

post-10324-0-54444700-1415522423_thumb.p

Edited by edgem

Hello cubiccube,

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately, variable viscosity is for flip fluid, correct ?

I am using POP solver and I don't know how I can get that kind of result. I have used Pop proximity and pop interact but I can't get that dripping effect that I want. 

I have tried using flip solver but the thing is I have to increase the stick scale to maximum value to stick the particles to the branches, it gives viscosities but....maybe too much.... and does not look like sand at all.

Cheers