OctaneRender for Houdini development preview

juanjgon

Hi,

I am just starting this thread to post here all the news and features about the upcoming OctaneRender for Houdini plugin.

I have also started a Facebook page about the plugin. Feel free to follow all the Octane for Houdini plugin news through it if you are a Facebook user:

The Houdini plugin development is moving in the right direction. All the Octane nodal system is now working seamless inside Houdini and there are no problems so far. Attached you have two screen grabs to see the plugin in action.

The plugin has a custom SHOP node to store both the Octane render target (the octane rendering preferences) and the Octane shading nodes, integrated as VOP nodes with custom input/output pins. Also the Houdini camera is now fully supported by the plugin.

All the plugin is built around a custom ROP node, and developed using only the HDK with 100% C++ code to make the plugin as fast as possible.  It is amazing see Octane rendering inside Houdini, with it's lightning GPU unbiased rendering speed and quality ... you are going to love it :)

See you soon with more news about the plugin development ;)

-Juanjo

post-12128-0-17476100-1415621937_thumb.j

post-12128-0-83654900-1415621946_thumb.j

• Like 9

Very nice - am interested if all features of Houdini will supported - i.e. vdb, standard volumes etc

Thanks!

I want to make the plugin as complete as possible. Currently Octane doesn't support volumetrics, but the plugin will support them when they are available in Octane. Meanwhile the plugin will support all the other features included in Octane, like Instancing, hair rendering, render passes, etc.

-Juanjo

New feature: Support of the amazing Octane network rendering inside Houdini. 

The Octane network rendering allows use up to 12 GPUs in mixed environments (Windows, Mac or Linux) to render the current image.

Each render nodes only needs a Octane Standalone license to run the network daemon, and new licensing system for render nodes are now under study by the Otoy team.

Of course you can have more than one GPU in the main workstation or in the render nodes, all supported with only one license/machine.

post-12128-0-37515700-1415708598_thumb.j

• Like 2

I hear this feature of octane 2 is rather buggy, how are you finding it?

I have a lot of users working with network rendering in the LightWave plugin without problems so far. You only need a fast network to avoid latency problems while transferring huge scenes. I have also here a little GPUs farm with mixed Windows/Linux/OSX nodes to test the plugin, and all can work in the same scene without problems.

-Juanjo

• 2 months later...

Considering the magnificent job Juanjo did for Lightwave´s port of both, Arnold and Octane, I´m sure this one will be terrific as well.

Juanjo, no soy usuario de Octane, pero me parece increíble lo que estás haciendo. Te felicito sinceramente y espero que ganes mucha pasta con tus ports.

Edited by Netvudu

Looking cool Juanjo, any plans on consolidating the render options of octane to the octane rop exclusively? I'm also curious if you have thought of a way to use the BSDF component of a shader meant for PBR that could be translated to render with octane?

All the Octane plugin is inside the Octane ROP node, so all the plugin options are inside the ROP parameters. Anyway the Octane workflow to define all the scene and render settings is to use a nodal render target architecture, a root node where you can link you camera, imager, environment, render kernel or postprocessing nodes. It is very easy to configure, and you can have presets with your most used scene settings if you want.

Octane is a GPU render, and it can only use it's own GPU materials or shading nodes. Octane can't work with the Houdini shaders or shading nodes.

-Juanjo

Edited by juanjgon

Considering the magnificent job Juanjo did for Lightwave´s port of both, Arnold and Octane, I´m sure this one will be terrific as well.

Juanjo, no soy usuario de Octane, pero me parece increíble lo que estás haciendo. Te felicito sinceramente y espero que ganes mucha pasta con tus ports.

Thanks Javier !!!

-Juanjo