Why does Volume Wrangle change the display of a volume even when it&#3

magneto

Hi,

I have a color and density volume and I visualize the volume using the Volume Visualization SOP. When I add a Volume Wrangle SOP before the Volume Visualization SOP and then set the group to "@name=color.x", it changes the display.

Why does this happen? I don't have any code inside the Wrangle node.

What's the proper generic way to modify a group of volumes using the same code? For example you have density, vel, color, fuel and you only want to modify vel, and color volumes using the group parameter and ensure that your code won't modify other volumes.

Thanks I am glad it's a bug so it wasn't my understanding :)

I am surprised someone who almost never uses volumes till now came across this and nobody else. It does make learning a little bit trickier though as I don't know if it's me or the software and I always assume it's me :)

Edited by magneto

One of the most important thing I was taught is never assume that any program computes something right, always check it.

The problem is not in Volume Wrangle (except the shuffling of volume order) but in Volume Visualization SOP. It requires correct order (x,y,z) as it doesn't check a volume names. So this is rather RFE then bug if I could correct myself.
You can check it by using Name sop to renaming Cd.x, Cd.y, Cd.z to something different (e.g. Cd.x to "a", Cd.y to "b" and Cd.z to "c" and in Volume Visualization SOP set Diffuse Field to "a b c").

Edited by pezetko
  • Like 1

Thanks Petr. I think it's still a bug though because the order of volumes change, after Cd.y becomes volume 1, and Cd.x is now volume 3, the Cd.* expression filters them starting from the first volume and in this case Cd.y comes before the other Cd volumes.

I might be wrong though :)

@Marty: A major class action lawsuit against Intel is in order :)

Edited by magneto