Sop Solver instantaneously with Simulation

Hey guys, 

So I have a simple box water sim and i am using the sop solver to transfer color onto the box using a solver node and then using the color to drive viscosity. 

But i cant figure out a way to get the sop solver to update and work with the solver node. 

when i uncheck do not trigger simulation it works up until the sop solver node. 

would love any tips or information thank you!

wax_melt_v004.hip

Edited by rolfcoppter

You don't need a solver node inside of the sop solver -- in fact, the solver node is actually just a wrapper for the sop solver, so basically you had a dop network in a dop network -- inception style. Anyways, I made some quick changes to the file to make it work better for you. I initialized a color on the first frame, and since the viscosity field is lower resolution from the particles, the attrib transfer needed to be spread out more as well so it would actually start melting.

Cheers,

Ian

wax_melt_v004_if.hip

Hey Ian,

Thank you for the explanation of the sop solver and the solver sop. Perfect reference to inception.

I just have a few questions about the file you sent me.

The geometryWrangle node is what is setting initial cd to 0,0,0 and the enable solver is making it only on the first frame correct?

I also was wondering if the viscosity field is always lower resolution? can you upres that? if so how much does that really make a difference?

Thank you again for your help i really appreciate it.

The geometryWrangle node is what is setting initial cd to 0,0,0 and the enable solver is making it only on the first frame correct?  Yup. You could also do this in sops if you were sourcing from an 'emitter' setup instead of an intial state. I'd suggest setting it up for the ability to emit particles even if you are going to emit for a single frame anyway, that way pulling from sops is easier.

All the fields are a lower resolution that the particle sim spacing. That's one of the benefits of flip, being able to use a lower resolution grid to calculate things like pressure and viscosity. Viscosity is a pretty slow calculation, so doing in the lower res grid is great in most cases.  HOWEVER, you can absolution change the grid scale on the flip object to something other than the default to get more accurate or detailed simulations. It'll just go slower. ;)