Clustered simulation with H13

borisb2

I'm setting up a farm for clustered simulation with simtracker.py and RenderPal as my rendermanager.

Job distribution so far works, I can see on the simtrackers-webpage the peers arriving (did a simple test with a pyro sim, split in 2 slices/2 machines). But the problem is, nothing is calculating, the jobs are just frozen (and waiting?), simtracker is showing "pending" for sync.

When I do the simple test as shown in that old tutorials from sesi (xxx): opening 2 houdini sessions on the same machine, setting up distributed sims, launching simtracker.py and moving 1 frame forward in both sessions, I can see this "first" simulated frame works, simtracker shows done for all entries, and both houdini sessions return from frozen status - but then usually 1 houdini session crashes with the next frame and again simtracker is showing pending.

So I guess my problem is not related to the rendermanager but more basic related to simtracker/syncing?? What could I do wrong? tracker-address is the name of the machine, $SLICE is set correctly (can see #PEER 0 and #PEER 1 in simtracker). what else could be messed up?

Thanks for any help,

Boris

Edited by borisb2

as suspected - it seems that there's somethign in the simtracker going wrong. Whenever moving one frame forward on both machines I get "Socket broken" in the simtracker log:

Y:\_scripts\houdini>python Y:\_scripts\houdini\simtracker.py 8000 9000
Exception in thread Thread-4:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 13.0.447\python27\lib\threading.py", line 808, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "Y:\_scripts\houdini\simtracker.py", line 308, in run
    sendmessage(peer, message)
  File "Y:\_scripts\houdini\simtracker.py", line 374, in sendmessage
    rs.connect( (peer['address'], peer['port']) )
  File "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 13.0.447\python27\lib\socket.py", line 224, in meth
    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
error: [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

initial syncing (first frame) always works .. hmmm, any idea?

so I tried it again on a laptop (firewall disabled) - same result:

- simple pyro scene - setup as distributed with 2 slices.

- opening 2 houdini sessions, setting $SLICE to 0 and 1 accordingly

- starting simtracker succesfully, opening in browser

- as soon as I type in the tracker address (computerName) in distribute-control-node, houdini starts calculating (which differs from tutorial-video .. is that maybe the problem?)

- when I type in the tracker address in second houdini instance, both sync eachother successfully, no more freeze, simtracker-browser UI shows successfully sync done.

- when I move 1 frame forward in both houdini-sessions, 1 houdini is always crashing with fatal error, simtracker-Ui shows pending, simtracker-shell shows "Runtime-error: Socket broken"

so whats wrong there? any idea anybody? .. would be great to get this going

Edited by borisb2