VEX pcopen error

magneto

Hi,

I made a simple shader that uses pcopen VOP, but when rendering I get this error:

VEX error - pcopen() requires a  constant argument for the 'preload' keyword argument

It's not very descriptive but I assume this is a bug in H14? Any idea how to fix it as I don't use the preload argument? I couldn't find any info in the forums.

Edited by magneto

Hi,

I made a simple shader that uses pcopen VOP, but when rendering I get this error:

VEX error - pcopen() requires a  constant argument for the 'preload' keyword argument

:)

The pcopen() function in VEX has a variadic argument "preload" which tells the run-time engine to preload the point cloud file.  The argument to the "preload" keyword must be a constant value (i.e. not an expression).  For example, this is good:

int pc = pcopen(geo, "P", pos, radius, 1000, "preload", 1);

While this would generate the warning (the argument to "preload" is not a constant value, it's the result of an expression).

int pc = pcopen(geo, "P", pos, radius, 1000, "preload", npoints(geo) > 100);

Hey Magneto,

I have a solution for you, it's more like a work around, but I haven't found any better way of having it to work. I basically created a snippet inside of my shop node which is doing the point cloud lookup. Here's a file so you can see how it works. You will need to cache the point cloud before rendering, tell me if there's anything unclear. It should do the job until sidefx fix the bug.

Cheers!

pcopenSnippet.hip

• Like 1