how to restart a pyro sim from somewhere in the middle?

johnLIC

I am using a "Dynamics" node in the out context to write out my simulation to .sim files.  I want to be able to restart the simulation to fix some issues that happen at the end.  I don't really have much of an idea how that might be done.  I saw one blog post about it, but it looked like that guy was writing out .bgeo AND .sim.  Can anyone help?

Edited by johnLIC

I can't tell if I'm having network flakiness, or not.  I got it to work once, but subsequent tries have failed.  It seems like the intial state isn't getting read.  Anyway, I have a question:

On the creation tab of the pyro node there is a check-box "Creation Frame Specifies Simulation Frame".  The docs are not written in a way that I can understand what they're trying to say. Can anyone explain?  

Here's a method that I think ought to work:

1)  On the pyro_sim node, set inital state to a .sim, for example, frame 59.

2)  On the pyro_sim node, set Start Frame to 59

3)  Set $FRSTART to 59, so the dop node in /out will start at frame 59.  ..and the renders will pick up at frame 59

4)  On the pyro node, tick  "Creation Frame Specifies Simulation Frame" so that (?) the simulation frame will be the same as $F, and the dop will write the .sim files starting at whatever.0059.sim

I have been dicking around with this method.  The only thing that worked was to wipe out the expression in the Creation Frame in the pyro node, and then manually offset the dop frame path tp be `$SF + 58`.  And that method only worked once.  Ugh.