bullet simulation driven by deforming static object workflow

dchow1992

Hi all,

beginner here.

so basically I am working on a destruction shot of a helicopter crashing into a house. 

The helicopter was animated in maya and brought into houdini as an alembic file. 

Currently I have it packed and brought into the sim as a deforming static object. 

I think my issue has to do with how to approach constraining geometry during the simulation..right now I have glue constraints between my geometry but no control

on like how aggressively it reacts to the helicopter. In the hip file the geometry lasts for a few frames and then it all flies away. Is there a better way to work regarding

bullet sims driven by animated objects?

thanks for looking,

David

EDIT* well, I turned down the half life in the glue constraint to a very small number and now it seems a bit better, not sure why or how it worked though

bullet_example.zip

Edited by dchow1992

thanks Rio that looks really good,

in the connect adjacent pieces did you just delete everything above connect nearest points? and is adding a start frame to the overwrite with SOP flag in the constraint networks better than just setting it to 0?

I have a hunch that the glue constraints were freaking out by themselves because they only break on collisions or something like that

Edited by dchow1992