fbx imported anim not colliding with flat tank

gnarlog

Hi there,

I have an animation of a polygonal whale jumping up and falling down. It was created and exported from 3dsmax. I'm trying to bring it into h13 and add some fluid splashes. All I've really done is use the ocean fx flat tank setup and played around with it. I can't get anything that looks remotely like a realistic splash, in fact none of the changes I make to the static object collision parameters seem to make much difference, All I ever get is a small number of displaced particles around about the middle third of the whale, and they don't seem to behave realistically -- they look kinda like maple syrup shot in slow motion. However if I drop a sphere into the scene and keyframe it with a roughly similar velocity, it does pretty much what I'd expect, nice little splash. I feel like I must be missing something really basic. I've attached the fbx(zipped) if anyone is patient enough to look at it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Humpback_Whale_Jump_1.zip

If a sphere is working then my guess is that your whale doesn't have enough Uniform Divisions on its Static Object node.

Here's a scene with a basic setup...of course there are numerous ways to set up FLIP collisions.

Just point the Object Merge in the whaleGeo node to your FBX mesh.

Humpback_Whale_Jump_2.0.hip

Thanks for that suggestion Paul, turned out to be both that and that the velocity magnitude on the geo wasn't high enough. The uniform divisions were low enough that the details of the whale weren't being captured, and the velocity magnitude needed to be multiplied by a factor of about 6 to get what I was looking for. Thanks for the help! 

• 4 years later...
On 12/05/2015 at 2:55 AM, gnarlog said:

Thanks for that suggestion Paul, turned out to be both that and that the velocity magnitude on the geo wasn't high enough. The uniform divisions were low enough that the details of the whale weren't being captured, and the velocity magnitude needed to be multiplied by a factor of about 6 to get what I was looking for. Thanks for the help! 

Hi Gnarlog

I was wondering if you may share a bit more on how the velocity magnitude can be increased? Ie process of setup of your animation. 

I have an imported alembic which I can compute velocity using Trail but not too sure how to mutliply the magnitue for the imported alembic

ATM, I getting very little water splash on the upward thrust and for the downward thrust, I can't get any splash from the FLIP, it looks almost that the water gets sucked into the vortex that the whale animation has during downthrust.

Thanks.

Edited 16/07/19 : Found solution in adding velocity, I have been pulling my hair the past few days but I found the solution to solving it!! Great

Edited by joahky7
Found solution